Institute for Legal Reform bought ad space or their “Faces of Lawsuit Abuse" campaign to be shown in DC, Colorado, and Louisiana movie theatres. The ads will feature everyday business owners who are concerned about frivilous lawsuits. The ad campaign will cost anywhere from $1 million to $4 million.
I am kind of torn about the issue. I believe that people should be able to sue business if there has been an accident but sometimes it is just that...an accident. The article talks about a pool supply company that is being sued for $750,000 because a woman fell when she was "startled by a wild Canada goose nesting near his store." Then the article goes on to say that negligence on the owners part was present because they were feeding the animal which makes the goose a pet.
My problem with this article and my initial reaction is that the people who regularly go to the movies are not of a high education level. I know it kind of sounds mean but that's the way it is. I am afraid that these ads will do more harm to legal reform than it will do good. I am afraid that this will not turn people off to suing but will give them the idea. I haven't seen the ads but if people know that a woman is suing for $750,000 for falling down or that an individual is suing a family for $75,000 because the family's son ran into him while skiing, that it will give the general public even more of an incentive to sue. It would almost be like playing the lottery, what is there to really lose if you have the chance of "winning" big.
In no way do I believe that people should not be able to sue. It is often one of the most effective ways to keep businesses on their toes. However, the problem that arises is that lawyers often "shop" for lawsuits, resulting in class action suits where the lawyer has the chance of "winning" big. The threat of being sued results in small businesses needing a high amount of liabilty coverage. This not only hurts existing businesses with high expenses but also turns off people who are looking to start new businesses.
So I guess my whole point to this rant is whether this ad campign will turn people off to suing businesses or turn them on......
I am kind of torn about the issue. I believe that people should be able to sue business if there has been an accident but sometimes it is just that...an accident. The article talks about a pool supply company that is being sued for $750,000 because a woman fell when she was "startled by a wild Canada goose nesting near his store." Then the article goes on to say that negligence on the owners part was present because they were feeding the animal which makes the goose a pet.
My problem with this article and my initial reaction is that the people who regularly go to the movies are not of a high education level. I know it kind of sounds mean but that's the way it is. I am afraid that these ads will do more harm to legal reform than it will do good. I am afraid that this will not turn people off to suing but will give them the idea. I haven't seen the ads but if people know that a woman is suing for $750,000 for falling down or that an individual is suing a family for $75,000 because the family's son ran into him while skiing, that it will give the general public even more of an incentive to sue. It would almost be like playing the lottery, what is there to really lose if you have the chance of "winning" big.
In no way do I believe that people should not be able to sue. It is often one of the most effective ways to keep businesses on their toes. However, the problem that arises is that lawyers often "shop" for lawsuits, resulting in class action suits where the lawyer has the chance of "winning" big. The threat of being sued results in small businesses needing a high amount of liabilty coverage. This not only hurts existing businesses with high expenses but also turns off people who are looking to start new businesses.
So I guess my whole point to this rant is whether this ad campign will turn people off to suing businesses or turn them on......
No comments:
Post a Comment