Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thursday 7/09/09 Edinburgh Day 1

I checked out of El Shaddai after a wonderful breakfast, as always, and walked to Emmanuel College to sit and wait for Pari to get out of class. Her second class was canceled so we packed for Edinburgh before she had to go to her third class.

The train ride to Edinburgh was really pretty during the last two hours or so. The first 2 hours were kinda boring in the fact that it was just the same thing over and over and over again. It’s a bunch of cows and grass. They were cool though. I remember this one big field that had both cows and sheep together. At one point it is as if you are on the edge of the water. It was so awesome. Overall I liked the train ride. There is one major thing I didn’t like though…We were supposed to be on Coach G but when we went to get on the train there was no G. It turns out that particular train doesn’t have a G and we had to be on C. This was a cluster fuck. You are supposed to have reserved seating but someone was sitting in both mine and pari’s seat. 3 stops after we get on this man tells me I am in his seat and I “need to move”. I turned to the woman that was in my seat and I said, “she is in mine but I will move if you want me to.” He was the biggest ass. So Pari asked the woman on the train what to do and she said nobody is sitting in their sit. It was kinda frustrating and it stressed me out for a little while. And it was soo damn hot on the train. Usually it is too cold. I think I would much rather be cold than hot.



When we got to Edinburgh we tried to find Budget Backpackers with little to no success. Finally we got a taxi. (3.40 pounds) We were completely wrong. Well Pari would say that “I” was completely wrong but what does she know huh? Lol. We checked into the front desk and we were handed a big bundle of linens. At first I thought I was going to have a top sheet…finally…but no. It was a duvet cover. All of the furniture in the room is from Ikea. And we would know…we are Ikea Experts. And to top off the whole Ikea themed room there was a classic Ikea feature. A piece of furniture that wasn’t quite right…a screw here or a screw there that was too tight or even an extra screw…you all know what I mean.




Our first view of Edinburgh and Budget Backpackers


We walked around and tried to find a good place to eat. We looked up on this balcony and there was a banner for Hanam’s, a middle eastern restaurant we had wanted to go to. The inside was so cozy and the wait staff was so friendly. The girl was gorgeous and the man was dressed in a traditional Kurdish outfit. I ordered the Patata. It came with a big bowl of rice and this huge piece of naan. There was a small dish of potatoes with a rich tomato sauce, and I kid you not, the sauce tasted exactly like Campbell’s tomato soup. Pari concurred. It was very tasty though. Pari ordered a veggie kabob. That was probably the best meal I’ve had since leaving the states. (18 pounds)



Then we went to the Beehive Inn and I drank my first adult beverage in a bar. Pari decided that we would get a Guinness. It was pretty nasty. It was a nice pub though, it was quiet and there were comfy seats by the window that we sat in. I didn’t get carded though.




By the time we got back to budget backpackers it was 12 am. Falling asleep wasn’t a difficult task.

No comments:

Followers