Monday, July 27, 2009

Thursday 7/23/09 Amsterdam Day 1

I woke up and made a cup of coffee and messed around on the internet. After I took a shower I made my toast. When I got back to the desk I noticed that there was a white spot on my toast. Then I looked at the loaf. MOLD!!!! I didn’t want to chance it so I went breakfastless.

Around 11 I went to Boots and got the meal deal. Oh how I’ve missed it. Then I went to Borders and bought Pari the next True Blood books she needed. After eating it we walked to the train station.

The train ride went pretty well…minus the irritating two kids sitting in front of us. We checked in at the airport and went to O’neil’s and ordered to Vegetarian Breakfasts. It was disgusting. The eggs were rubbery and our vegetarian sausage was a fried something filled with cream of broccoli. Yeah- it was disgusting.



After finally figuring out which gate we needed to go to we finally got to sit down and relax a little knowing we were in the right place. The flight was delayed because they had to switch planes, which we didn’t know until after we boarded the plane. The copilot seemed really angry that they didn’t let us know this. Anyway, boarding the plane is like a cattle call. All of a sudden the lady comes over the intercom and says something about speedy boarding and everyone jumps us so we get up to. Evidently boarding group A in on one side (what we were) and boarding group B was on the other side of the desk. We didn’t know this but then the lady said something else about A and B being on the side, luckily we were in the right line. EasyJet doesn’t reserve seats so it’s a first come first serve basis somewhat. This was really stressful. I am terrified of flying and the thought of not being able to sit next to Pari would be awful. In the end, we “herded” the plane and were able to sit next to each other.

The flight was only 40 minutes. Once we finally reached whatever altitude we were flying at it was better. I hate the take off. It is the only part that really scares me. We got off the plane by walking down stairs, we didn’t even get the walkway thing. I imagined I was Obama…



We found the I AMsterdam office as they were closing the doors (it was 10 oclock) but the lady was nice enough to sell us two 72 hours passes. It includes transportation (except to and from the airport), many of the museums, and other discounts that we didn’t really take adavantage of. (58 euros).

We took the train from Schipol Airport to Centraal Station (yes, two A’s) and then tried to find the right tram. Let me tell you, Pari gets pretty agigitated when we are a little lost. In my mind I was thinking, oh no, not another Edinburgh experience. Thankfully all we had to do was ask this lady where tram 26 was and it was just around the corner. Then came another moment that had Edinburgh potential, we got off the tram and walked up the steps and didn’t know whether to turn right of left. Then we look up and see the bright red lights…Lloyd Hotel. YES!!!



When we checked in we asked if we could upgrade from a 1 star room (shared bathroom) to a two star room (ensuite). The nice man said “no problem.” YES!!! Everything was going our way.

The room was so nice. The beds were so comfortable and even though it was small you didn’t feel all that cramped. The shower was a little funky. There was no curtain, hence the water thingy but the water pressure was amazing. Another thing you take for granted.


The little window that is on the floor as you get off the elevator and walk towards our room.





We were browsing the hotel menu thingy and it said there was a little shop. So instead of trying to find somewhere to eat at midnight in the dark we figured we would just go to this little shop. We looked and didn’t see it so we asked the nice man at the desk….”shop? You can just go to the bar and order everything there.” There wasn’t a menu so we sat down and ended up drinking a beer. So then we were giving and walking back up to the room when Pari said she wanted some water. So I went into the restaurant and asked if they had a bottle of water. The man said yes of course, do you want still or sparkling. So I said two bottles of still (thinking they were going to be small bottles) He asked if I wanted to charge it to the room and I said yes room 109. He printed out the thing for me to sign and I look, 10.50!! So I sign and he hands me two biggg bottles of water. Oh well.

Then we get up to the room and we look at the menu and decide we want to get some bread and “boiled vegetables” from the restaurant so I go back downstairs and into the restaurant. A girl is there this time and I ask for bread and boiled vegetables and she rudely says I need to go to the bar. The nice man was in the bar and I order and sit until it was ready. It was kind of an awkward situation but it was sooo good and we were hungry.



Green beans and bread. And the view from our window

No comments:

Followers