Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thursday 7/30/09 London Day 1

Ok- so I didn’t post anything from the last 3 days so here are the highlights → Monday: Pari took a 3.5 hour nap in the afternoon so I walked around boring Cambridge and bought two books, Outliers and The First Person. Tuesday: We went to go see the Proposal. And I have to admit it was really good. The little dog was so cute. Sandra Bullock was looking a little rough though; her face was too skinny or something. Wednesday we bought Cambridge University hoodies. Yeah- that’s about it.

The train from Cambridge to London went really smooth. There was a strike and one of the lines wasn’t running. Thankfully all hell did not break loose at the train station.

We got to London King’s Crossing around 1:30 and then headed for the Hotel. So going into this weekend I said to myself: “Haley you have got to write perfect directions, Pari gets angry if you don’t know where your going.” So I figured even if I didn’t know where I was going I would still walk really fast so Pari would think I knew where I was going. BUT- Pari doesn’t like when I “speedwalk.” In the end the walk from the underground to Seven Dials Hotel was very smooth.

Ok- so our room is on the top floor and there is no “lift.” To top it all off we brought more clothes this weekend because of going to the Theatre and stuff so we finally utilized the expander of my suitcase. Good news: all of our clothes could fit. Bad news: It was a lot heavier than normal. The double whammy: do I have to repeat that we are on the top for with no elevator. So I psyched myself up and walked up the 5 (yes 5!) flights of narrow windy steps. This has been the only time that I wished Pari was a man.

Our room: It is pretty much a tiny room with a double bed and a shower, toilet, and sink in it. Yes- it is truly an ensuite. The bathroom is indeed IN THE ROOM! And there is a funny smell- it smells like something is dead under the floorboards. The good thing is that once you are in the room for about 10 minutes you get used to the stench.

We walked to Maoz and it only took about 12 minutes I would say. It is supposed to take 6 but Habies fell through again with the directions. It was tricky though- the left turn we needed to make was literally right after the right turn. At that point I wasn’t looking at the street signs. We got there though and it was fabulous. There were actually big tables and they gave you a little holder for your falafel. This makes fully utilizing the salad bar much easier. My favorite thing on the salad bar is probably the cous cous or the cucumbers. The hummus wasn’t that great. It was really dry.

After eating a wonderful meal we went back to the hotel so Pari could get ready for her Margaret Thatcher reception. While Pari was meeting the crazy old lady…at a Marriot…I decided I would just walk around that area. Looking back on it, I regret doing it. The area was the business district I think and there wasn’t a lot going on. I did find Hyde park though- and was thoroughly disappointed. It is basically just a big big big area with lots of grass and no benches. After I made this revelation I decided to head back in the direction I came from and I found this really weird fountain. It is called the Fountain of Life but to me it looks like two people in a weird sexual position and little boys surrounding them. One of them looks like he is pissing into the Fountain of Life. It was weird. I did get to sit down on a bench and really soak in the true meaning of Life. And this is the conclusion I came to: people just piss away their life while engaging in weird sexual acts.


The Marble Arch. It used to be in front of Buckingham Palace but now it is in front
of Hyde Park. Pic 2: The Reform Tree in Hyde Park. It has something to do with
protesters.


The Fountain of Life...see what I mean?


I walked around some more, got a little lost, and then found a huge Apple store so I went and emailed Ding. I made the mistake of telling her that something is wrong with my heart and it hurts and it isn’t heartburn because I have chewed about ten of the nasty chalky tablets and its not getting matter. Don’t worry Ding: my arm doesn’t hurt.

Pari was finalllly done with her reception and we met outside of the Marriot. She was drunkies. Free wine, can you blame her. After sitting in a little park area we decided to go back to the room and Pari layed on the bed.

I decided to go walk around. It was neat. London nightlife is crazy. Everyone just stands in front of the bar in the street drinking. And all of the places play cheesy techno music. I did get kinda lost and ended up in China town but eventually I found my way back. It was very exciting getting lost a little bit. I am a master at it now. I walked by this crazy Chinese vegetarian buffet that is near maoz and decided to get the take out. It was only 3.50. And being the good gf that I am I brought a container back for miss pari. Ok so one of the mysterious mock meat dishes I got was nasty. Pari tasted it first and thought it was gross. So I decided to eat it all really fast and damn I got so much of this one nasty thing. And to top it all off I thought I had eaten all of it but there were two pieces that were hiding under some delicious mock meat. Just as I was getting ready to eat these disgusting two pieces Pari says, “it tasted like vomit” Great- what an awesome thing to say to me while I am getting ready to put this chewy just overall nasty tasting hunk of whatever the hell it could be fake meat into my mouth. I am going to get her back.

I am so ready for bed now. Tomorrow is going to be a big day….


Graffiti I walked by and the delicious mock dinner. Looks disgusting huh?
Yeah- that one thing was.


*tomorrow I will post some pics of the fabulous room*

No comments:

Followers